- How to Transition From Google Reader to Feedly [Plus Other RSS Reader Alternatives] (bizsugar.com)
- The Google Reader addict's guide to feedly (pocketables.com)
- Feedly's User Base Surges Following Google Reader Shutdown (on.aol.com)
- RSS app Feedly adds over 500K new users after Google Reader drama (venturebeat.com)
- How Feedly fills Google Reader gap (billbennett.co.nz)
- 8 Google Reader alternatives for your PC (reviews.cnet.com)
- R.I.P. Google Reader: 2005-2013 (uproxx.com)
- Dump Google Reader for Feedly, All the Cool Kids Are Doing It (geekosystem.com)
- 3 Easy Steps to Export Feeds from Google Reader (kvliveblog.wordpress.com)
- So Long Google Reader... Hello Feedly! (musingsofamildmanneredman.com)
Google is closing down its popular RSS reader, Google Reader, in July 2013. It's still a few months away but now is the time to start looking for a replacement so it doesn't sneak up on you later. For most of us this news came as a surprise as Google Reader incorporates all of the necessary features a good RSS reader should have. The sharing capabilities for Gmail and G+ are great as well. There are many other alternatives, but they all seem to come up short on features when compared to Google reader.
One step you need to remember is to download all your data and transfer it to another service or store it for later use. If you follow other lawyers' feeds, legal and news sources such as the ABA Journal's feeds, or other feeds that help you in your law practice, you should download the data so you can maintain your database. After July, you may not be able to retrieve any more of your data from Google.
Some of the best current alternatives appear to be Fever, Feedly, The Old Reader, Netvibes, Pulse, Tiny Tiny RSS and NewsBlur. They all have decent features although you should check through the features and options to determine which reader is most suitable for your RSS feed needs. Also, keep an eye on the news; I fully expect companies to develop Google Reader clones in the upcoming months and this could make for interesting competition as well.